It’s Friday and Fall? Well Wednesday was summer, but Thursday was Fall…I really can’t keep up anymore, but either way I’m pulling out my favorite comfort food recipes.Starting off with my go-to banana nut bread recipe. Does anyone else buy bananas every time they go to the grocery store and find themselves never eating them all before they brown? I do it almost every time, so I always have to come up with different ways to use my brown bananas. My first favorite is when I freeze them and use them in my Green Machine smoothie. My next go-to is making banana nut bread. Now remember I live by myself, which means I’m the only one eating that entire loaf unless my co-workers get lucky and I bring some to work. Either way I always love a healthy alternative, so I played around with quite a few healthier versions until I came up with one I absolutely LOVE! My mom loves it so much she uses it for brunch get togethers with friends and doesn’t event tell them it’s low fat, because it’s they’ll never be able to tell.
Ok, ok enough of my rambling, time for the good stuff!
PS-does that tray look familiar? 😉
Light Banana Nut Bread
(slightly adapted from Cooking Light)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe
banana (about 3 bananas)
- 1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine flours in a small mixing bowl, add baking soda, and salt, stirring until combined.
- Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl for about a minute (or until light in color). Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, and vanilla, beating until well blended. Turn the beater on slow and add the flour mix, little at a time, just until mixed (careful not to over mix). Pour batter into a loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes and then flip out of pan onto a cooling rack.