There are two things that rank top of my list when it comes to summertime.
1. The obvious: warm weather and patio season (FINALLY!)
2. All the fresh fruit!!
Blueberries, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, peaches, blackberries…the list goes on and on as well as my “Things to bake with the fresh fruit” list.
Maybe it’s just me, but I think everything is better when fruit (and dessert) is involved.
With the holiday weekend sneaking up on me before I could even catch a breath from last weekend’s trip to Kansas City, I decided to whip up something easy, quick and light for all my 4th of July celebrations!
With only a few simple ingredients and less than 30 minutes from start to finish, these mini galettes make the perfect on-the-go dessert to bring with you for all your backyard BBQs and holiday festivities.
Plus, they involve a heaping piles of fresh strawberries and blueberries topped with sugar and nestled inside a pie crust…drooling over here and wishing I still had a few left to eat while I write this.
Since I was looking to create a recipe that was quick and easy, I went for pre-made pie dough from the freezer section of the grocery store. I rolled it out just a little to thin it, but not too much as you want the dough to be able to hold all the fruit juices without getting soggy after baking.
Now for my favorite part!
Just a little sugar here and a little more there…and you’re done. Time to pop these babies in the oven!
- 1 package of refrigerated pie crust
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 cups of blueberries and strawberries (cut into bite size pieces)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unfold and roll out pie crust onto a floured surface. Using a knife (or cookie cutter) cut out 4 large circles. (I used an upside down bowl to measure my circles)
- Place the circles on a parchment lined baking sheet and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine fruit, sugar and cornstarch. Pour into a strainer to release any extra juices.
- Evenly spoon 1/4 of mixture into the center of each dough cutout.
- Gently fold the edges up to cover the edge of the fruit and pinch together to hold.
- In a small bowl beat egg and brush over folded edges of pie crust.
- Lastly, sprinkle each galette with your favorite sugar (I used vanilla sugar crystals, granulated sugar works just as well too!).
- Bake for 10-13 minutes or until crust is lightly browned.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Any plans for the holiday weekend? What’s your go-to dessert or fruit dish to whip up for your guests?