Move over breakfast sandwiches there’s a new savory crepe in town and it’s taking over your weekend brunch. Yup, these savory egg white crepes may have just beat out my oatmeal pancake recipe..and if you know how much I love pancakes, you know that’s saying a lot.
But how about brunch, that funny little word for having a late breakfast/early lunch. A time when you can combine waffles and fried chicken and tell yourself it’s a meal because it’s lunch and breakfast. A time when you can slurp down bottomless mimosas and bloody marys with friends and chat over the epic night before.
During the week most of us are an on-the-go breakfast eater as we’re running late to work or catching the train to a meeting. A granola bar in the pocket or a yogurt in my purse for when I get to my desk. It’s something about those on-the-go meals that makes brunch the most important part of the weekends.
Whether we’re trying out the new local brunch hot spot or making homemade crepes at home. Brunch may just be one of my favorite meals of the week and when it’s on a day when I have nothing to do after, well you can bet I’ll be on the bottomless mimosas train;)
Now, I know crepes are actually considered French, but when I received this Try the World Spain box I knew I had to incorporate this tomato spread somehow. I poured about 1/4 of a cup of the spread into a strainer to remove some of the liquid and sautéed it a little in a pan to help reduce a little more.
I whipped up some scrambled egg whites, dropped in some chopped spinach leaves and added it to the sautéed tomato spread. Man, oh man, were they delicious, but I couldn’t stop there. I spread a thin layer of pesto on one side of the crepe, added the scrambled eggs, and topped with a little goat cheese for the final touch. Last, I folded them into little pockets and devoured two of them within 5 minutes. I add a “haha” here but I’m being serious.
- 5 whole eggs, 3 egg whites
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tbl spoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pesto (amount desired)
- 1/4 cup tomato spread from Try the World Spain box (strained)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- goat cheese (amount desired)
- Crepes: In a blender mix milk, flour, 2 whole eggs, sugar, oil and salt. Blend until well mixed. Heat a large skillet to medium heat and pour a thin layer of batter into pan covering the entire bottom of the pan. Allow to cook until bubbles form (1-2 minutes) and then flip on other side for another minute or two. Remove from pan and continue until batter is gone.
- Filling: Heat tomatoes in a pan over medium-high heat until liquid is reduced. Meanwhile, whisk remainder of eggs and egg whites in a bowl with a 2 tablespoons milk and salt/pepper as desired. Add chopped spinach to egg mixture, then pour in heated pan with tomato spread. Allow eggs to cook while continually scrapping pan in circular motion to make scrambled eggs.
- Assembling: Once eggs are cooked, grab your crepe and spread a thin layer of pesto on half. Top with scrambled eggs and goat cheese. Then fold crepe in half and then half again to create a triangle or roll up to eat more like a breakfast burrito.
- These even taste good leftover;)
Photography by Emily Newman
Happy weekend/brunching all!